I made this quinoa salad to last the whole weekend. I ate it for dinner with steak, then for breakfast with eggs and later for lunch in a salad. It goes with anything. I doubled the recipe so we could all use it for leftovers.
Ingredients: (serves 4-6 as side dish). Double recipe for dinner party or leftovers.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (any kind: red, black, regular)
- 8 oz chicken stock
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- salt, pepper
1. Put oven to 400 degrees.
2. Peel (optional) and chop sweet potatoes into bite size pieces. Add to large bowl. Chop onion into chunks. Separate layers. Add to same large bowl. Oil, salt and pepper the vegetables and mix together. Place on roasting pan. Put into oven for 30 min.
3. Toss chopped kale with balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Put kale in oven when vegetables have been in for 15 min.
4. Cook quinoa. Replace half water needed with chicken stock.
5. When quinoa is done set aside to cool. Remove vegetables from oven when kale starts to wilt and potatoes are cooked through. Let cool.
6. Mix together kale, vegetables, cranberries, 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste.