Carving a pumpkin for Halloween? Make Pumpkin Butter with your leftover pumpkin guts. Butter can be used like jam and is great on toast!
Cook time: Approximately 40 minutes
- 3.5 cups pumpkin guts, puréed OR canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cups apple juice (fresh is best)
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
If making pumpkin purée fresh:
1. Remove seeds from pumpkin and put aside. Then use hands/sharp spoon to remove pumpkin guts and purée them in food processor.
2. Put all ingredients in medium saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
3. Turn heat down to low and let mixture simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Transfer thickened mixture to jar and refrigerate until ready to eat.
* Let mixture simmer until thickened. May take more than 30 minutes.
For this recipe I used Sweet Potatoes, not yams, which is why the inside is not orange. Feel free to use either as they will taste similar. Also, I think the skin of the potato is the best part, but if you don’t like it or you want a nicer presentation feel free to skin the potatoes before cutting them.
4 large sweet potatoes or 2 yams (cut into 1 inch cubes)
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine the honey, olive oil, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Add the sweet potatoes and toss to coat.
3. Spread potatoes onto a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast for approx. 25 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking.
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 Tablespoon flaxseed meal (or any paleo meal)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pie spice
Out of Oven
1. Preheat oven to 450˚ F.
2. Mix together all the liquid ingredients in one bowl and the dry ingredients in another. Slowly pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients while stirring until completely combined.
3. Spray a 10″ pie plate or pan with oil, then put the mix into it. Leave at least 1/4 inch between the batter and the top of the pie plate. Smooth the top of the pie with a spatula.
4. Bake pie in oven for 15 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 375˚ F and bake for 30 more minutes.
5. Cool completely before cutting and serving. Serve with coconut or almond milk vanilla ice cream. (Pie stays well in fridge.)