The perfect side dish for Pot Roast.
Ingredients (serves 8 as side dish)
- 2 large white onions, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup medium or coarse kasha
- 1 lb bowtie pasta
- 2 cups chicken broth
- olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Sauté the onions in 3 tablespoons of olive oil in large frying pan until golden. Remove.
2. Cook pasta according to directions. When finished toss with olive oil to prevent sticking.
3. Meanwhile, beat egg in a mixing bowl. Slowly pour in uncooked kasha until all grains are covered by egg. Put kasha in the frying pan over high heat. Stir up until egg is dried and kernels are brown and separated, approx. 3 minutes.
4. Add broth, onions, salt and pepper to pan. Cover and turn heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes then check to see if liquid has absorbed, if not, cover and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
5. When the kasha is ready mix into pasta. Season with salt and pepper.