I have an easy tomato sauce that I always make when I am in the mood for something simple. This time I added Veggie Ground Round that I bought from a health food store. This pasta sauce is good by itself or you can add any veggies or meats that you like.
- large container of grape tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- dried oregano, salt, pepper
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 cups water
1. Put pot over high heat.
2. Add grape tomatoes (un-cut), olive oil, chopped garlic, 1 cup water.
3. When water evaporates add another cup of water, with dried oregano, salt and pepper.
4. Cook until tomatoes start to pop. Pour sauce over cooked pasta, stir. Mix-in any cooked ingredients you want to add (meat, vegetable.) Top with cheese.
This Pesto Pasta with Sausage and Roasted Brussels Sprouts is easy, yet fancy, for anyone who is still scared of their kitchens. I buy pre made pesto sauce and pour it onto of the pasta dish when I am finished. Roasted brussels sprouts are amazing, and I paired the sweet flavor with spicy Italian pork sausage. Feel free to use any flavor sausage you like but I would suggest using chicken or pork.
- 12 ounces penne rigate (ridged)
- 1 pound peeled and deveined frozen shrimp, thawed
- 1 pound asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces snow peas, trimmed and halved on the diagonal
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh mint leaves
- salt and pepper
1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook penne 5 minutes less than al dente. Add asparagus; cook 3 minutes. Add shrimp and snow peas; cook 2 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water; drain pasta mixture, and return to pot.
2. Add oil, lemon juice, garlic, and 1/4 cup reserved pasta water to pasta mixture. Season with salt and pepper, and toss. Mix in feta and mint- use more pasta water as needed. Serve.