Carving a pumpkin for Halloween? Make Pumpkin Butter with your leftover pumpkin guts. Butter can be used like jam and is great on toast!
Cook time: Approximately 40 minutes
- 3.5 cups pumpkin guts, puréed OR canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cups apple juice (fresh is best)
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
If making pumpkin purée fresh:
1. Remove seeds from pumpkin and put aside. Then use hands/sharp spoon to remove pumpkin guts and purée them in food processor.
2. Put all ingredients in medium saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
3. Turn heat down to low and let mixture simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Transfer thickened mixture to jar and refrigerate until ready to eat.
* Let mixture simmer until thickened. May take more than 30 minutes.
Cook time: approx. 45 minutes
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 plum tomatos, chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans pumpkin purée
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into pieces and pre-steamed
- 2 pound shrimps, peeled and deveined
- 3 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- olive oil
- Cilantro (garnish)
- Lime zest (garnish)
- Serve with Quinoa (optional)
1. Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add onion and ginger. Cook until soft, stirring occasionally- about 8 minutes.
2. Add garlic- cook for 1 minute.
3. Add tomato and pumpkin purée. Stir frequently until pumpkin is golden brown, about 10 minutes.
4. Add broth, coconut milk, curry powder, and cayenne pepper- simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Add shrimp, broccoli and lime juice. Simmer until shrimp are cooked and broccoli is warmed through.
6. Serve over quinoa (optional). Top with cilantro and lime zest.
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 Tablespoon flaxseed meal (or any paleo meal)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pie spice
Out of Oven
1. Preheat oven to 450˚ F.
2. Mix together all the liquid ingredients in one bowl and the dry ingredients in another. Slowly pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients while stirring until completely combined.
3. Spray a 10″ pie plate or pan with oil, then put the mix into it. Leave at least 1/4 inch between the batter and the top of the pie plate. Smooth the top of the pie with a spatula.
4. Bake pie in oven for 15 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 375˚ F and bake for 30 more minutes.
5. Cool completely before cutting and serving. Serve with coconut or almond milk vanilla ice cream. (Pie stays well in fridge.)