- 2 pounds turkey meat, ground
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large stalks celery, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, chopped with seeds removed (leave some for spice lovers)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 30 oz canned red kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional garnish)
- sour cream (optional garnish)
1. Using two burners (1) heat oil in a large heavy pot over high heat, (2) heat oil in one large skillet over high heat.
2. To the skillet, add turkey and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Use a heavy kitchen spoon to stir and break any lumps while it’s cooking.
3. Simultaneously to the large pot add onions, garlic, pepper, celery, jalapeño. Stir to blend. Cook for the same 5 minutes.
4. Add turkey meat to pot. Add oregano, chill powder and cumin. Stir to blend. Cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes, chicken brother, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
6. Add drained beans and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
7. Serve in bowls with cheddar cheese, and sour cream, if desired.