I’m heading to Croatia in two weeks for Yacht week and doing my best to slim down before then. I made this soup for my lunches and snacks for the next week, and am sticking to a healthy lean protein diet for the remaining meals. If you’re planning to do the 7-day Cabbage Soup diet then follow those instructions but this soup recipe is the same.
Ingredients (enough for 1 week for either diet)
- 1 head of green cabbage, chopped
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 2 cups white or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cup carrots, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- ½ jalapeño, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 8-10 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- black pepper
- salt (optional)
This soup is all about the seasoning so add in plenty of it! As usual I made mine extra spicy, but if you want a milder flavor do not add jalapeño and limit the red pepper flakes.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add celery, onions, bell peppers, carrots, and jalapeño (optional), and red pepper flakes. Sauté until tender.
- Stir in garlic, cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken broth. Add tomatoes and cabbage, stir together.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat.
- Cook until cabbage is tender.
- Stir in all remaining seasonings.
- Taste and add more seasoning if needed.