- 16 oz bag of dried split peas
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2 tsp of olive oil, salt, pepper
- ham hock, or smoked ham (will be removed)
- toasted bread (optional)
1. Wash peas and drain them.
2. Add oil to a large pot over Medium High heat. Saute onions and garlic until onions are opaque.
3. Add peas, carrots, ham, chicken stock, then cover the pot and let it come to a boil.
4. Once it boils you can reduce heat, add salt and pepper, then cook for about two hours- beans should be very soft by then. Add water if it’s too thick.
5. Remove and discard ham.
6. Serve with toasted bread.