Ingredients (serves 4)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 Tbsp. bacon fat or coconut oil
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage (I used al fresco ‘sweet italian chicken sausage’ and removed the casing)
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 medium butternut squash OR 4 medium turnips (skin removed and chopped)
- 4 cups chopped kale leaves (stems removed)
- 1 cup almond milk (unsweetened) - Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
1. Place a large stockpot over medium high heat. Heat the bacon fat or oil and add the Italian sausage to the pan. Stir to brown the sausage for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the chopped onion, garlic and red pepper flakes to the pan. Saute approx. 3 minutes.
3. Add the chicken stock and turnips. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 min. Add the kale and almond milk, simmer for another 5 minutes or until turnips are tender.
4. Add sea salt and ground black pepper to taste. Serve.